Are you about to take the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) exam? Are you concerned about passing? It can be an intimidating experience if you are taking your exam for the first time. United Truck Driving School’s goal is to make sure you are prepared to succeed. We have some study tips and tricks to help you feel prepared.
Understand the “Knowledge Test” Types
To complete your CDL exam, you will have to first take your “knowledge test”. There are several versions of the “knowledge test” and you will need to understand which test fits your criteria. The subject matter will depend on the type of CDL you are going for.
- General knowledge test: required for everyone seeking their CDL.
- Passenger transportation test: required for everyone seeking their CDL.
- Tank vehicle test: For those who haul heavy loads of gaseous materials or liquids.
- School bus test: For school bus drivers.
- Air brakes test: For those who drive vehicles with air brakes.
- Firefighter endorsement test: For people who will be driving vehicles used to fight fires.
- Hazardous materials test: For those who aim to haul hazardous materials. Therefore, if you choose to be licensed for this, you must undergo further testing from the TSA.
Study for Your “Skills Test”
You will also have to complete a “skills test” which tests your skills and knowledge around the vehicle. You can familiarize yourself with the subject matter of the test to help you prepare for the CDL exam. The “skills test” will include:
- Vehicle Inspection Test: You have to know whether your vehicle is safe to drive before you get on the road.
- Basic Controls Test: This test assures that you know how to operate the vehicle’s basic controls within a defined area.
- Road Test: You will drive in a variety of traffic situations to show your understanding of local traffic laws and road safety.
Take the Time to Practice for your CDL Exam
There are plenty of practice exams available online for free. You can use these to your advantage by taking a few quick tests in the days leading up to your actual CDL exam. The quizzes can be repeated as many times as you like. Write down questions you struggle with and make flashcards. You can bring them with you and study them anywhere. Here are a few sites to get you started.
- DMV California Practice Driving Test
- Drivingtest.org CDL Practice Test
- USCDL California Practice Test
Schedule your CDL Exam Early
You’re responsible for scheduling the date and time of your appointment by calling the local DMV. Additionally, do not wait until the last minute because you want to give yourself enough time to study. You must bring the class of vehicle you intend to get a license for and you have to have passed your inspection.
Studying to pass your CDL Exam may seem daunting, but it is doable. Most importantly, you don’t have to do it alone. United Truck Driving School is ready to help. Our instructor and Job Placement Team can help you pass your exam. If you’re interested in joining one of our programs or have any questions, please contact us.